Monday, November 11, 2013

Book Cover Folders



When we get books from Bound to Stay Bound (that's where you get the "library" books that are all nice and don't fall apart - I always wondered) they send us the book jackets, but the books already have the picture printed on the cover.  So we have lots of extra book jackets.  You know I couldn't throw those away.   I looked around on Pinterest to find some ideas of things to do with them, but didn't find anything!





I decided to just wait until I had an idea.  Finally it occurred to me that I could glue them to the outside of pocket folders (get a bunch for a penny each at the beginning of the year) and then laminate them.    




The kids get to choose one as a prize when they finish a reading challenge.  THEN-they use their cool folder to keep track of future reading challenges, which is a huge bonus, AND they'r walking around advertising all of our new books all the time, so other kids come in asking for the book on so and so's folder.    

I have tons of kids completing challenges-every single first grader finished the first one!  

The folders are a huge hit and they didn't cost the library a thing.  That is my favorite kind of victory.  

3 comments:

Katrina said...

You are a gem. You use your talents to enrich the lives of those around you. I'm so blessed to have you as a friend. Great idea!

Susan said...

That is GENIUS! Now you just have to pin this idea so that other elementary school librarians can use it. :)

jmlo said...

They are lucky to have you. :)